Student Name: Jack Robertson

Course: MSc Accounting and Finance with CIMA

Hometown/Country: Linlithgow, Scotland

Prior to completing a master's in Accounting & Finance with CIMA, Jack achieved a 1st class BA (Hons) degree in International Hospitality and Tourism Management from Queen Margaret University (QMU). Realising that he didn't want his academic journey to end at undergraduate level, Jack decided to play to his strengths and pursue a career with a financial edge to coincide with his management background. Upon completing his MSc, Jack was awarded the Dean's Prize for academic excellence at the 2021 QMU graduation celebrations.

Why did you choose to study at QMU and what attracted you to the course? 

I decided to study at QMU because the course was accredited with the Chartered Institute of Management Accounting (CIMA). I also chose the University as I was aware of the Programme Leader's expertise in the field and her reputation for being a great lecturer. 

Why did you choose to study in Edinburgh? 

I wanted to study in Edinburgh as it is a world-leading location in asset management and investment. 

What have you most enjoyed about your course? What has been your highlight? 

I enjoyed the broad context of finance and the current business subjects shown in the news and how they are related to finance as this demonstrated the implementation of the theory that we had learned. 

Any advice for students who might be interested in this course? 

My advice would be to try and get some financial experience before starting the course and read broadly to prep your understanding of what is happening in the current economic environment. 

"One of the pinnacles of my time at QMU was being awarded the Dean's Prize, which was completely unexpected and made all the long hours and commitment to the university experience worthwhile. But I cannot take all the credit; I have to thank the [Queen Margaret] Business School staff and the Effective Learning Service for all their help and enabling me to reach my full potential. This award has inspired me to consider returning to the University for a potential PhD once I have a few years of experience under my belt."
Jack Robertson, MSc Accounting & Finance with CIMA

Have you joined any schemes/initiatives to enhance your learning and development? 

I have been involved in the Employer Mentoring Programme and had the opportunity to represent the University at an international conference in Switzerland. 

Have you won any awards, scholarships or internships? 

I am a Rocco Forte, Moffat and HIT scholar. One of the pinnacles of my time at QMU was being awarded the Dean's Prize, which was completely unexpected and made all the long hours and commitment to the university experience worthwhile. But I cannot take all the credit; I have to thank the [Queen Margaret] Business School staff and the Effective Learning Service for all their help and enabling me to reach my full potential. This award has inspired me to consider returning to the University for a potential PhD once I have a few years of experience under my belt.

What's your 'top tip' for making the most of being a student? 

Take every opportunity possible and enjoy yourself as these will be the best times of your life! 

What has been the most valuable thing that you've learned at university? 

Time management skills, but also confidence in myself and my abilities. 

What are your plans now that you have graduated?  

I hope to be able to work in financial strategy or business consultancy. 

[First published January 2021. Updated August 2021]